Against the drug war but not sure what to do about it?
Join Erowid and help spread accurate, independent information.
Three Extractions
Poppies - Opium
by Durden
Citation:   Durden. "Three Extractions: An Experience with Poppies - Opium (exp36085)". Erowid.org. Jan 4, 2008. erowid.org/exp/36085

repeated oral Poppies - Opium (tea)
  0.5 bowls smoked Poppies - Opium (extract)

Be forewarned that I have a fairly high opiate tolerance; I commonly take 25mg of hydrocodone at a time. That said, here are my first few experiences with poppy seed extractions.

|| Poppy seeds, oral, 400g ||

To extract the goodies from the seeds, I poured 400g poppy seeds into a Pyrex bowl and added enough lemon juice to make a thick soup. I let it sit for 30 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes. I then strained out the lemon juice into a cup, then rinsed the seeds several times with water, each time straining the liquid into the cup. I ended up with 18 ounces of light brown, very sour liquid. I mixed in a tbsp of honey and some apple juice to make the mess easier to drink.

[5:30pm] Drank the liquid. It tastes basically like lemonade.

[6:00] I feel a bit nauseous, but nothing I canít handle. I also feel a little light-headed, but this may or may not be due to the seeds.

[6:15] I am beginning to feel a standard opiate euphoric buzz.

[6:30] The buzz is growing quickly. I now feel as if I had taken approx 10mg hydrocodone.

[10:30] The buzz has been pretty much constant up to this point, but I have been getting some pretty powerful waves over the last few minutes. I have been battling slight intermittent nausea the whole time, but nothing too bad.

[12:00] The euphoria is beginning to subside.

[1:00am] Baseline.

|| Poppy seeds, oral, 1lb (454g) ||

This time I decided to do the extraction a little differently. First I mixed in the entire pound of seeds with 5oz lemon juice and water to the top of the seeds. I let it sit for an hour this time, stirring twice. After rinsing and straining a few times, I ended up with 20oz of yellow-brown fluid.

[7:00pm] Chugged the whole mess.

[8:00] First hints of an opiate buzz.

[8:45] Definite euphoria, like maybe 10mg of hydrocodone. No nausea this time.

[9:30] This is noticeably stronger than last time, more than would be accounted for by the additional 54g of seed; my guess is that either soaking longer helped a lot or these seeds were stronger.

|| Poppy seeds, smoked ||

I decided to try and smoke an extraction. I used the same extraction method as last time with an entire pound, except with only 1.5oz lemon juice to keep the excess material in the extraction to a minimum. I then poured the liquid into a pan and baked it on 300 degrees for around 2 hours. A razor blade paint scraper served very well to get the gunk off the pan and into a pipe. I put half of it into a pipe, and smoked roughly half the bowl (the extraction from a quarter pound of seed). My head immediately felt inflated like a beach ball, my face felt very hot and flushed, and I felt very euphoric. However, I tried smoking more of the extract on two separate occasions and it didnít work either time. Which is to say, I donít know if smoking the extract works or not.

Exp Year: 2004ExpID: 36085
Published: Jan 4, 2008Views: 32,308
Poppies - Opium (43) : General (1), Retrospective / Summary (11), Preparation / Recipes (30), Not Applicable (38)