The Power and the Mind
Mushrooms
by Opie
Citation:   Opie. "The Power and the Mind: An Experience with Mushrooms (exp40134)". Erowid.org. Jun 28, 2007. erowid.org/exp/40134

2.0 g smoked Mushrooms (ground / crushed)

Iíve orally ingested mushrooms several times and consider myself pretty acquainted with the affects.

I packed a glass pipe with 2 Grams of medium-high grade dried, coarsely ground psilocybin caps and proceeded to smoke it. The smoke was very harsh to the throat and lungs, but the taste was bearable. I smoked the entire bowl and waited it out.

After a few minutes I became slightly more relaxed and my vision became a little blurred. After 10 minutes of just sitting around (feeling like I just smoked some pot), I got up and engaged myself in repairing my truck. After I stopped thinking about the 2 grams I smoked my mind was completely clear again (25 minutes) and I was left only with motivation.

This experience has furthered my belief that the human mind is a powerful thing. Iíve seen and experienced this phenomenon occur with other substances as well (Hydrangea leaves, garden variety salvia, etc). If I think Iím gonna get high from smoking mushrooms, my mind doesnít want to disappoint, so my perception is altered. As I engage myself in a different train of thought my senses are returned to normal.

This may sound far fetched, but I'd say smoking mushrooms is more of a placebo effect than a chemical high, especially when smoked with other substances (cannabis, tobacco), where I may be able to intensify the affects of one drug by thinking Iím being influenced by the other.

I am not a doctor, so forgive me if I'm blatantly wrong here. Iím just stating the conclusions Iíve come to through my own experimentation.

Exp Year: 2005ExpID: 40134
Published: Jun 28, 2007Views: 1,260
Mushrooms (39) : General (1), Alone (16)