Support accurate info and harm reduction.
Donate $50+ and get a Know Your DrugsData tee
Playing with Poppies
Poppies - Opium, Alcohol & Cannabis
by Poppypants
Citation:   Poppypants. "Playing with Poppies: An Experience with Poppies - Opium, Alcohol & Cannabis (exp53576)". Erowid.org. Oct 31, 2008. erowid.org/exp/53576

2.0 g oral Poppies - Opium (extract)
  T+ 0:00   smoked Poppies - Opium (extract)
  T+ 0:00 2 shots oral Alcohol - Hard (liquid)
  T+ 3:00 1 cig. smoked Cannabis (plant material)
  T+ 3:00 1 cup oral Poppies - Opium (tea)
  T+ 3:00 1 shot oral Alcohol - Hard (liquid)

So, I recently ordered some poppy seeds, and have began to cultivate them. I guess it is the right time of the year, because within a week they sprouted all over my planter box, the poppies are almost 2' tall already! Looking at the poppies growing, I realized it would be some time before I could enjoy some latex in a pipe. I subsequently located some quality dried pods, online.

After obtaining the pods, I crushed up the 5 largest in a blender. Using a double-boiler, I added the crushed pods a mixture of: 3/4 cup water, 1.5oz 95% ethanol (Clear Spring) and 500mg of Vitamin C (ground tab). The mixture was then steeped in the double-boiler for 1 hour, with the lid on. Using a large mason jar, and a strip of cotton t-shirt, I strained the mixture. After cooling more, I used my hand to squeeze the plant material in the t-shirt.

The resulting brown liquid was put back into the now cleaned double-boiler, with the lid off. I slowly simmered the liquid until it thickened and most of the moisture was gone. I scraped what I could out of the pan, and put it on a plate. I swallowed two small chunks, and tried to smoke some out of a pipe. The O did not smoke too well, possibly not dry enough. After an hour, and a few glasses of bourbon, I felt 'ok', nothing more than a vicodin or two.

So there were 5 more pods left, and a pan with some left over sticky residue. I repeated the above mentioned process, strained the plant material out, and returned to the double-boiler. Eventually most of the water evaporated, I then scraped about 2-3grams of tar from the pan. With no more pods left, I decided to add 1 1/2 cups of water to the pan. After the sticky tar dissolved in the water, I put it into a coffee mug, and set it in the fridge.

In a couple of hours, I smoked a joint of some good Cannabis. Finding myself a little bored, I slithered to the fridge and exumed my cool cup of tea. The cup of tea was about half full (optimist :), and had a residue on the bottom. I drank the tea fast, and chased it quickly with cold water. The bitter taste lingered, so I took a half-shot of bourbon.

An hour goes by, nothing felt besides the lingering Cannabis high. Two hours go by, I feel no more THC effects, however I start to get a bit nauseated. I go to the toilet to vomit, but nothing comes out. I gag, still producing no spew. I now realized I felt the effects of opium, similar to liquid Morphine I have had before. The effects were much stronger than taking percocet pills. I started to get very sleepy, and could barely keep my eyes open. I found myself half asleep, and half awake, a very strange sensation. The effects were so strong, I pondered the possibility of an overdose, I didn't want to fall asleep and not wake up. I drank some caffenated soda, and watched tv for a bit, fell back asleep. I kept waking up, wanting to feel the effects and not just sleep them off. During the periods of being awake, I was itchy, and slightly nauseated.

After initially being disappointed with eating the chunks, I found the tea to work much better. I now have approx 2g of tar left, that has dried much more. The tar has now turned a dark, dark brown, almost redish/black. I am going to try smoking the O in a glass tube with a mini-butane torch to see if the effects are as good, and cause less nausea.

Exp Year: 2006ExpID: 53576
Published: Oct 31, 2008Views: 12,563
Poppies - Opium (43) : General (1), Preparation / Recipes (30), Alone (16)